Southbury Training School was built in the towns of Southbury and Roxbury Connecticut to help serve the overcrowding demands of Mansfield Training School and Hospital in 1940. The school would help rehabilitate kids and adults with intellectual disabilities. The campus was run and operated independently from the town. It sat on 1,600 acres of land and had 125 buildings including its own power plant, water, laundry, fire department, ambulance, sewage treatment, heat, maintenance, dietary services, transportation, and a public safety building. It was a town inside of a town. In 1986 the school began placing residents into group home settings instead of dormitories. The result of this was to stop admissions to the school. The Southbury Training School is still operating and helping its residents to live better happier lives.