Gaebler Children's Center

In the early 1950s to separate the children’s unit from the adults at Metropolitan State Hospital a new building needed to be constructed. They those a location down the street from the hospital in Waltham, Massachusetts. Named after the second superintendent William C. Gaebler of the near by Metropolitan State Hospital, The Gaebler Children’s Center would be built. It opened its doors on October 29, 1955. It was a psychiatric institution built for severely mentally ill children. On the property they had a baseball field, play ground, swimming pool and a hot top for kids to play on. On January 31, 1992 with budget cuts and a change of attitude for caring for the mentally ill, Gaebler closed its doors. 

© INSANECTUARY.COM